Leverage Real-Time Data:
Track & Control Cost, Schedule & Risk
Monday, April 16
Choose between session A or B
13.00 - 15.00
Workshop A | Contracting to Maximize Productivity & Transparency
Independent Consultant, Glenn Palmer, Independent Consultant, Glenn Palmer Consulting Services LLC
Independent Consultant, Project Controls Strategic Consulting LLC
As projects are becoming larger and more demanding, contracting methods must evolve to better clarify roles, responsibilities, and account for previously unknown challenges. Having clear expectations for project controls upfront is essential to maximize efficiency of project delivery.
The workshop will facilitate discussion focused on:
- Understanding the most important social engineering and logistical elements of project controls that should be addressed in contracts to ensure efficiency from day one
- Reviewing the most effective contracting language to ensure clarity, stakeholder safety, yet maintaining sufficient flexibility for all parties
- Discussing a contract structure that secures accountability and appropriately mitigates later complications
Glenn Palmer, Independent Consultant, Glenn Palmer, Independent Consultant, Glenn Palmer Consulting Services LLC
Bill Helms, Independent Consultant, Project Controls Strategic Consulting LLC
13.00 - 15.00
Workshop B | Establishing Project Controls in a Small to Medium Enterprise
VP Project Controls, Burrow Global LLC
Project Controls Manager, Burrow Global LLC
While industry leaders have had established project controls departments for decades, the drive and benefits for SMEs to also move in this direction is becoming ever apparent. Increasingly, experienced professionals are establishing smaller skilled teams to schedule, cost and risk manage entire portfolios, and need to find the most effective organizational structures to best integrate with others.
With this intention, this workshop will:
- Discuss the benefits of having a dedicated project controls department in smaller companies over training project managers in general skills
- Highlight the tenets and practices of project controls that can be introduced to SMEs effectively
- Share challenges faced when trying to implement cultural and structural change, and review potential solutions
Todd Gapsiewicz, VP Project Controls, Burrow Global LLC
Jay Merchant, Project Controls Manager, Burrow Global LLC
Choose between session C or D
15.30 - 17.30
Workshop C | Exploring BIM Model Integration with Cost & Schedule
Manager - Systems Solutions, Hill International
With technological advances, doors are now opening to innovate project controls processes and improve communication through all construction phases. Recently, advances in BIM technology have seen design models increasingly leveraged to aid project tracking and logistics, and cost and schedule integration to carry more information into the O&M phase.
This workshop will allow you to:
- Understand how and why models can integrate with schedule and cost from project lifecycles through to O&M phases
- Learn how to integrate 4D and 5D models on mega-projects, providing visual feedback on project progress
- Review the impact of integrated models on stakeholders and collaboration, and understand how to better contract to clarify model ownership
Maha Harrison, Manager - Systems Solutions, Hill International
15.30 - 17.00
Workshop D | Developing Skills to Enhance Team Collaboration & Efficiency
VP Operations, CAPE Environmental Management Inc.
Senior Scheduling Manager, Faithful & Gould
A key part of any job is effective communication between stakeholders and teams, and is often the key driver for project failure or success. Project controls experts are at the heart of such
interactions, responsible for negotiating with clients, ensuring team collaboration and effecting change for project development.
This workshop will provide hands-on activities to develop in these areas, focusing on:
- Fostering team collaboration and creating a positive working atmosphere for growth and development
Retaining transparency among project teams to ensure timely and effective sharing of information
Developing confidence in project controls professionals to communicate results with project managers and effect change on projects
David Bettendorf, VP Operations, CAPE Environmental Management Inc.
Luis Terry, Senior Scheduling Manager, Faithful & Gould